Mark up PDFs on iPad
View and annotate PDF documents on your iPad.
Open the PDF
- Download the PDF from Aconex, or locate the file in your Mail, Favorites, or My Mobile Files.
- Tap to open the file.
Navigate the document
When you open a PDF, you’ll see its first page.
- A page scroller displays at the bottom of the view. You can tap or drag across the pages to jump through them.
- Or, tap the tile view to see all pages in the PDF as tiles. To select one for viewing, simply tap it. For other navigation options, see the table below.
|Search||To find a particular part of the PDF, tap the search icon and enter the text you’re looking for. This will search the PDF’s text, including any markups that have already been added.|
|Outline||Shows all the bookmarks and annotations in the PDF. You can delete bookmarks and annotations from this view, and navigate to them easily.|
|Open in||Lets you open the PDF in another application, with or without your markups included.|
|Edit||Tap this to activate the editing toolbar and add markups to the PDF.|
Add your markups
- Tap the edit icon. The edit toolbar appears.
- Tap the tool you need to make the markup you need. The tools are explained in the table below.
|Icon||What it does||Available markups|
|Text effects||Highlight, underline, and strikethrough existing text.|
|Free text||Add a hand-written text or create a signature.|
|Note||Add text in a note.|
|Pen||Add a free-form drawing.|
|Highlighter||Add free-form highlighting.|
|Color chooser||Use this tool to alter the color of the pen or highlighter. The icon appears when you select either tool.|
|Shapes||Use colored rectangles, ellipses, lines, and more to highlight items in your document.|
|Undo and redo||Undo or repeat any action in annotations.|
|Close toolbar||Tap this icon to close the toolbar.|
|Move toolbar||Touch and drag this icon to move the toolbar around the screen.|
- To use your annotated file, tap Save, then tap the action you’d like to take with the file.
If you opened the PDF from Mail, you can:
- Attach it to a new mail, mail reply, or a forwarded mail.
- Save it to My Mobile Files.
If you opened the PDF from Documents, you can:
Using your marked up PDF in applications outside Aconex
- Once you’ve saved your markups to your PDF, tap the Open in… icon.
- Tap to select which pages you want to use.
Choose if and how you’d like to include your markups:
- Embed your markups as editable annotations in the PDF.
- Flatten your markups into the PDF so they can be seen but not edited.
- Ignore the annotations you’ve made in the version of the PDF that you’re opening in another app.
- Tap Open.
- Tap to select the app in which you want to view the PDF.
- The PDF opens in the application.