Creating a document auto-numbering scheme
Design and build your document auto-numbering scheme.
First, design your auto-numbering scheme
- Decide what document types you will apply an auto-numbering scheme to.
- Design your auto-numbering schemes.
- You can apply the same scheme to all document types, or you can design separate schemes for different document types.
- When you’re designing your auto-number scheme you must include the Sequence Number field, and at least one other document field.
- Only include single select list document fields that have been enabled for your project in your design. The only single select field that can't be used is Status.
- Click the Create Numbering Scheme button.
- Enter a name for your scheme in the Name field.
- If your scheme uses more than two document fields click the + button. You can also click the - icon if you need to remove a field from the scheme.
- Choose the required element from the dropdown list. One element must be set to Sequence Number. This is usually the last element in the scheme.
- If required, you can select a different character in a Separator list. The default separator character is a hyphen. The default separator character is a hyphen. You can also choose to combine two fields without a separator by choosing None.
- Choose the sequence number length in the Length field.
- Choose the sequence starting number in the Start at field.
- Apply your scheme to at least one document type.
- Double-click on a document type in the Available document types list.
- To remove this scheme from a document type, double-click on a document type in the Selected document types list.
- Click Save.