You are here
This release has several updates, fixes and enhancements that’ll make working with Cost, Field and Workflows easier. For example, in Cost you can configure for reports and views, and create and import schedule activities without specifying Control Accounts. In Field, the resolution of exported has been improved, and you use custom prefixes when exporting files.
There has also been a number of updates to Support Central content for Models, Field and Packages. There is an overview for each of these and links to the appropriate articles.
The core release dates in this cycle are as follows:
Model Coordination launched – Next Level BIM!
You can read all the details in the Next-Level BIM: Enabling Full Model Coordination Across Construction Project Teams blog post.
Models content updates and re-structuring
As you may have seen, the Models module in Aconex has changed significantly recently, which means its Support Central content has also changed. For example, because Models now has two offerings, (Model Explore and Model Coordination) the content is aimed at users who need to read content for one or more of these.
The changes we’ve made so far include:
- Updating the Models content structure by adding new landing pages, for example Model Coordination and Models Technical.
- Moving existing content to where it is most suited - for example several technical articles have been moved from Getting started with Models to Models Technical.
- Reviewing and updating all articles for both content and the landing page they are on.
- Adding several new articles - for example all the ones for Model Coordination are new, as is Models functionality matrix. This explains the new offerings and how the Support Central content is organized around them. The latter is a really helpful read for all Models users as it not only explains the offerings, but how they work with the Support Central content.
Over the coming weeks there will be some minor changes to the structure, and several new articles. Keep an eye out for these, and let us know if you have any feedback.
The Model Coordination dashboard
The Model Coordination dashboard gives you an overview and reporting on issue status and progress. It shows data on issues, who they are assigned to and the issue sets they are part of.
This example shows the Model Coordination Issue Register with the integrated model viewer. This gives you seamless clash and design issue management and resolution in one platform.
Support Central content updates
Field content updates
- Exporting photos, thumbnails and meta-data for issues – this is a new article.
- Adding and editing issue types in Field – this article has been completely updated and now includes content about editing and deleting the Defect issue type.
The following articles have been updated:
Configuring Calculated Fields
Configured calculated fields, i.e. fields you define yourself, make it easier for you to get the data you need to fully customize your Cost reports and views.
You create custom fields and specify calculations for the values displayed for the Cost Worksheet and Control Elements. You add new ones either by copying ones already set up for your organization to a project, or you can set them up directly in Project settings. You can view these in Cost grids and related reports, and can activate and de-activate them as needed.
Hiding the Unassigned Column in Time Phased Data Reports
Fed up seeing that pesky Unassigned column in TPD Reports? Now you have the ability to hide it. Until this release, the column was always visible, and could affect the curve results. You can remove this possibility by hiding the column. However, note that when hidden, the unassigned values are still considered when calculating To Date amounts.
Note: To see your data as shown in the first graph here, it has to be set up so that the unassigned amount is about half way or at the top of the monthly average. If the unassigned amount is nearer the value of Period 1, it is harder to see the difference.
Schedule Activities – Relaxed Mapping to Control Accounts
If you're a Schedule activity user, you can now create/import schedule activities without having to specify the Control Account when you do so. This 'relaxed' mapping means you can assign control accounts later if you like. To make sure that all activities are eventually assigned control accounts, you can run a Schedule Activities report to see which activities are unassigned.
Cost Fixes and improvements
- We discovered a calculation issue caused when manual edits were made to the ETC, and then contracts or change events which also affected the ETC value were created. In most cases the ETC would jump to a higher than expected value. This has been fixed.
- Line feeds for a Tag Category of Name is no longer causing errors in reports.
Improved resolution for photos and meta-data for issues exported to PDF
PDF printouts are still widely used on construction sites for a variety of reasons. However, the photos used in the reports, and the accompanying metadata, has not been of sufficient quality, which means thumbnails are not as helpful as they could be.
From this release, photos will have a much higher resolution, and the accompanying metadata will provide the ability to audit issue progress.
You can now export four most recent high-resolution photos for each issue. The photo width is set to 240 pixels, keeps the aspect ratio for height, and is optimized for PDF file download/upload.
If you have more than four photos per issue, these will be exported at the current default of thumbnails, with the current size of 120 pixels.
This includes the:
- associated issue status
- details of the user/organization uploading the photo
- timestamp of the upload
Examples of standard thumbnails and high-resolution photos.
Exporting and export messaging
To make it easier to find files, you can enter a custom file name prefix when exporting an issue. Messages about export times have been improved, which is particularly helpful when large numbers of exports are being made.
Examples of the Export options window and Export in progress messaging.
Editing and deleting the Defect issue type
In the past it wasn't possible to either edit or delete the Defect issue type, which lead to issues being misnamed or having to be re-created. This was exacerbated by Defect being the default issue. This update means you can delete it altogether if you don't want to use it, or you can edit it and give it a new name. The default issue type then becomes the one with the new name.
You can edit or delete it in Field/Settings/Issue Types.
Field Fixes and improvements
- When exporting issues to Excel, there was a problem with Project fields being displayed multiple times. This has now been resolved.
Workflows Fixes and improvements
Exporting to Excel
Recently, when selecting rows in the Workflows/Export to Excel, these were being ignored. We've resolved this issue now, and all selections are being recognized and used.