Using Microsoft Power BI with Aconex Cost
Setting up Power BI
MS Power BI can be used to produce interactive reports and dashboards, accessing live data from Aconex Cost using the APIs. To learn how to setup and access Cost APIs, see Accessing Cost Data with APIs.
These instructions will help you connect Power BI to Aconex Cost data, you can then connect additional data by repeating these instructions with different API end points.
- Create a new or open an existing Power BI file.
- Click the New Source drop down menu and select Web.
- In From Web, select Advanced.
- Enter the URL for the API end point you want to use. Note: The URL contains Organization and Project fields which can be converted to parameters in Power BI.
- Add the Token created previously as a HTTP request header parameter.
- Click Ok. If the URL and Token are correct, you will see the Power Query Editor showing a data file.
- Use the Open As button, and select JSON.
- The data will display in a table with Body and Error rows.
- Click List (in the Body row), to expand the returned data. This opens a list of records.
- Click the To Table button, then click OK in the popup window.
- In the table window, click the Expand Record button next to the Column1 heading.
- Click Ok.
- The query will now show data from Cost which can be used to create Power BI reports and dashboards.
- Repeat these steps to connect different API endpoints.