You are here
What is Automatic Document Numbering and how do I configure it?
Automatic Document Numbering allows you to set up a numbering or naming convention for all the documents on your project. Reference codes are generated automatically for every published document (except when batch publishing - see details of exception below), using your choice of pre-set project attributes. These reference numbers can be used when searching for documents and are displayed for each document in the document search results screens.
To setup and configure Automatic Document Numbering:
- Go to Administration -> Project -> Configuration -> Document Numbering
- Use and to move the required attributes to the Assigned Reference Components box
- Use and to arrange the selected attributes into the order required
The following attributes can be used:
- Document Register - each register must be assigned a reference code, for example, DRAW for the Drawings register
- Document Category - each document category must be assigned a reference code, for example, ARCH for Architectural
- Project Reference - each project must be assigned a reference code, for example, NOTT HOSP for Nottinghamshire Hospitals
- Publishing Company - each company will be assigned a reference code when they are added to the system, but this can be changed if required. For example, the code for conject may be CNJ
- Source Work Package - Work Packages are always given a reference code when they are created, this is what is used in the document reference
- Navigation Tree Nodes - each navigation tree node you want to appear in document reference numbers must be assigned a code. All of the nodes which have assigned codes will be available for selection, so you can choose which nodes should be included in document reference numbers
Click here for more information on setting the above attributes.
Document Reference Numbers are generated when a document is published and include the codes detailed above, separated by a dash, and with a numeric reference on the end. For example, the first architectural drawing published by conject on the Nottinghamshire Hospitals project would have the reference DRAW-ARCH-NOTT HOSP-CNJ-0001 (assuming the order of these items is set as above). The second architectural drawing published by conject on the Nottinghamshire Hospitals project would have the reference DRAW-ARCH-NOTT HOSP-CNJ-0002.
Exception: Batch Publisher...
When documents are published singly, the Document Reference Number is automatically generated on publishing. This appears on the publishing confirmation screen and in the Reference Number column in the document search results.
When batch publishing, you do not see a confirmation screen, and for batch published documents, the Reference Number column in the document search results contains a link for [Allocate Reference Number]. If you click on this link, you will get a popup saying Are you sure you want to allocate a reference number to this document? - if you select Ok, the search results will refresh and the Document Reference Number will be created and visible in the Reference Number column.